Monday, September 26, 2011

The Birth Story of Kyla Brooke

"It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." Deuteronomy 31:8

I was scheduled to be induced at 5:00 AM on Friday, September 16th (6 days before my due date). Since Cayden was over 8 lbs & caused me complications during my first delivery, my doctor and I decided the best thing would be to get this baby to come a few days early. Especially since they estimated her to be 6 lbs, 13 oz at my 36 week ultrasound.

I was so nervous and excited on Thursday night that I could hardly sleep. Collin took Tylenol PM to help him sleep and he was out like a light at 8:00. Me, on the other hand, wasn't able to fall asleep until around 10:30 or 11:00. I woke up at 2:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep so I just got up and took a shower. I got a phone call at 3:00 saying that I had been bumped and not to show up until 7:30. I went back to bed and got a little more sleep before it was time to get ready and head to the hospital.
My last belly shot at 39 weeks, 1 day

We arrived at the hospital right at 7:30 and got put in a room right away. I was already having contractions 2-3 minutes apart and "Nurse Betty" told me that she didn't think I would need much Pitocin, After I signed my life away, she checked me with her giant gorilla hands (seriously, she was awful!!), got the IV in place, and then got the Pitocin started at exactly 8:34 AM. She came in shortly after that and explained that she was going to have to leave and that Danita would be my nurse. I was OVERJOYED! Not that Betty was bad, but Danita had been my nurse for the first part of my labor with Cayden (I was in labor for 18 hours with him so I had 2 nurses) and she was wonderful. Collin and I had been praying about who my nurse would be and I was very hopeful that it would be Danita but knew the chances of that were very slim. Since I was very nervous going into this labor with all of the complications that I had with Cayden, it was a neat reminder that God had gone before me and was there with me. That I had nothing to fear. It brought me such peace. Collin kept commenting on how relaxed I was. God is good.


Danita agreed with my doctor that since this was my second baby, I probably should get the epidural before the doctor came in to break my water. She checked me around 11:00 AM and I was dilated to a 3 and in active labor. I was definitely feeling the contractions but they weren't what I would consider really painful. NOTHING compared to what I felt like with Cayden before I got the epidural. I didn't necessarily want to get the epidural that early but we thought that my doc would be coming by around lunchtime so we decided that I should go ahead and get it. The anesthesiologist came by and did his thing and shortly after my legs started going numb. It was weird to get the epidural without being in tons of pain. I was actually a little more nervous about it this time than I was my first. It took the doc 2 tries to get in between my spine but he finally did and it was over quick - praise Jesus.

Danita waited about 10-15 minutes before she put in the foley catheter. I kept telling her that I could still feel everything around that portion of my body and she assured me it would be fine. Well, I had total feeling "down there" when she put it in. I wanted to cry - catheters are not fun.

Dr. Pritchett came by around lunchtime and broke my water. She had a hard time breaking it. Apparently I had a very thick, healthy water bag. I'm sure you wanted to know that but this is more for me for posterity's sake so sorry if its TMI. She said I was dilated to a 5 and I was thrilled that things were progressing rather quickly. I still had some feeling so I mentioned it to Danita who said we would call back the anesthesiologist if it was still there in a little bit. At 2:00 PM, Danita checked me and said I was dilated to a 7, 90% effaced, and at 0 station. The anesthesiologist came back and gave me a little more numbing juice and I tried to relax before things really started to happen. We were hopeful that the baby would come before dinner time and were excited that it looked like it would happen. We really didn't want another middle of the night baby!

Family brought Cayden in to see me and at first he didn't know what to think about mommy in a hospital bed. The first thing he did was look at my iv and say, "Mommy got a booboo?" We assured him that I was fine and after that, he did great.

My throat was getting pretty sore so I mentioned it to Danita and she said to stop eating ice at 2:30 and she would come in at 3:00 and take my temperature. While she was gone, I started feeling the urge to push. I thought I was progressing more but had no idea how much... At 3:15 Danita hadn't come in yet and I was sure it was almost that time. I had Collin go get her and sure enough, I was dilated 10 centimeters, 100% effaced, and at +2 station. She had me do 1 practice push to see how fast the baby would come and almost as quickly as she told me to push she told me to stop. It was clear this baby was ready and coming fast. She left in a hurry to call my doctor. Not 5 minutes later, Dr. Pritchett walks in followed by the baby catcher (that's what they call her!) and some other hospital staff. I pushed a grand total of 4 times, the heavens opened, the angels sang, and Kyla Brooke Day entered the world.


She came out screaming and we were all laughing at what a good set of lungs she has! She had just a little peach fuzz - so typical...my son came out needing a haircut but my daughter doesn't have much hair - ha! It's hard to tell what color her hair is since there's not much of it. We think either dark blonde or light brown. She has gray blue eyes and the cutest little face. She weighed in at 6 lbs, 10 oz and we were shocked at what a small baby she is since they estimated her to be 8+ lbs at delivery.


She got a 9.9 on the apgar (just like her big bro) and seemed to be doing really well. She took to nursing right away (such a blessing because her brother had issues) and did great. Her daddy and I were instantly in love. After a little time went by, family came in and we got to introduce Cayden to his baby sister. As soon as he saw her he said, "I want to hold and love that baby!" He is such a sweet boy and is a very gentle, loving big brother.

He was wearing a cute big brother shirt - I wish we had a better picture of him from that day in this shirt.

Here's Kyla Brooke with my amazing OB - Dr. Pritchett. While I did have to have a 3rd degree episiotomy, this delivery was light years better than my first and Dr. Pritchett released me to go home on Saturday night. Kyla Brooke's pediatrician's office wanted her to stay until Sunday because her blood sugar levels were low after birth. They want it to be above 50 and hers were 47 & 48. They had to supplement her with formula to get her glucose levels up but once she had some formula in her, the levels shot up to 81 and stayed elevated. Praise the Lord! I was sad they had to give her formula but it didn't seem to phase her at all and she continued nursing like a champ.

Cayden was excited to come up and see baby sister on Saturday and got to hold her for the first time. I will treasure this picture and the precious look on his face forever. He was so proud.

Here we are with the wonderful Danita. She was precious and helped to make this special day for our family even better.


We got the ok to be released from her pediatricians office on Sunday morning and by lunchtime, we were headed home. This picture of her in her carseat cracks me up because her headband looks so big. In reality, it's not that big. The flower is only 3 inches in diameter but her head is so small that it looks huge!

Our first photo as a family of 4!

Headed home!

When I think about Kyla Brooke's birth day the theme that keeps coming to mind is the mercy of God. He blessed me with an easy delivery and a healthy baby and we are so thankful! God was just as good back in January of 2009 when we had such a crazy week with the birth of Cayden and we know that He allowed everything that we went through for His good and ultimately our own. And He helped us get through it. We also know that He blessed us with an easy delivery this time and we are praising Him for that! He is good all the time.

I still find it hard to believe that I have a daughter. I am dressing her in rufflebutt pants and bows and just having fun! She's like my own little doll. I get giddy about dressing her everyday - isn't that silly?! She is so precious and I feel like I walk around all the time with the soundtrack "Isn't she lovely?" playing on repeat in my head.

I will update as soon as I can on life at home with 2. I am tired but SO SO blessed!

0 comments: