Thursday, February 17, 2011

Plans

I am a planner by nature. Always have been. I am an avid list maker and will plan out weekly things I want to get done, etc. More than short term goals, I really like to plan out long-term things...

In high school, I could tell you exactly where I would go to college, what I would study, and when I would graduate, who I would marry and when, how many kids we would have and what their names would be. Looking back on that vision of what my life would be, I cannot help but laugh outloud. Mainly because I was silly and naive to think that my life would seriously go exactly as I planned it. But also because I am so thrilled that my life did not go as I planned it. It's so much better!

Thankfully, I serve a God who laughs at my plans. I ended up going to 3 different colleges, none of them the one that I always thought I would go to. I changed my major to something that I never imagined I would do and was in college a lot longer than I thought I would be. I met and fell in love with the most wonderful man I've ever known and believe it or not, he was/is a year younger than me (gasp!). Despite me spending the majority of my life saying that I would never be with someone younger than me, I married the younger man of my dreams about 3 years later (in a month that I never imagined I would marry, mind you). Definitely not what I had planned -- but waaaay better.

After a year and a half of wedded bliss, we started trying to get pregnant. We were young and healthy and sure it wouldn't take us very long. So many people around us were getting pregnant quickly and we excitedly thought that we would join their ranks soon. Much to our disappointment, a few months went by and still no positive pregnancy test. I began to worry. Looking back, I know how silly it was to worry but as a person who's lifelong dream was/is to be a wife and mom, it was heartbreaking thinking that something might be wrong. It ended up taking us 8 months to get pregnant with Cayden. God taught us a lot in that time of waiting but more importantly, showed us a lot about His sovereignty after we saw those two pink lines. We learned just 3 1/2 months later that we would be making a 300 mile across state move. I won't bore you with details, but trust me when I say that God's plan was so perfect. Everything fell into place. And I got to be pregnant (just 3 weeks apart!) with my very best friend -- something we always hoped we would get to experience together.

Fast forward a couple of years -- Cayden just turned 2 on January 6th. We had prayed about and decided that around his 2nd birthday would be a good time to try for another baby. We were hopeful that it would happen sooner than it did last time but weren't naive going into it this go-around either. With that said, you can imagine my surprise when I saw this not even a week after Cayden's birthday:



I was so shocked that I took several more tests. We are thrilled about this unexpected blessing. So without further ado, meet our newest baby Day:

Expected due date is September 22, 2011. I am so thankful that my Lord is in control and not me. His ways are so much better and make life so much more fun, smooth, challenging, and interesting all at the same time!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

What a sweet post, Kris!! Tears welled up in my eyes! :) I love you and I am SO happy for you guys! Can't wait!!! :)

And I didn't know Collin was my age! :) I remember all those plans you had laid out for your life. :) God is SO good about shaking us up out of our own plans only to show His glory.

Larissa said...

He does laugh at our plans dosent He?! Want a sweet reminder thou of how good He truly is. And we are SO blessed to do life beside all four of you!
Yay for the newest sweet baby Day!
We are just too excited!

Amy G said...

I am so excited for you! How wonderful. It is a great time for a baby and wonderful spacing. Cayden will be so helpful and happy.

Abbey said...

Congratulations Kristin! I know motherhood is going to be a blessing for you times two. It's so funny to see your posts about Cayden and see some of the similarities between him and Gavin. I'm sure Cayden will be a great big brother.