Friday, November 19, 2010

Momma said there'd be days like this...

I blogged about 5 months ago about how I was not going to get Cayden's haircut professionally until he was at least 2 years old. It's a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I dread it so much that I space his haircuts out really far just because I don't want to have to do it. I let it get way longer than I like. I decided that he had to have a haircut before this weekend so I tried to cut it myself yesterday evening. I had bought scissors and clippers and psyched myself up. I'm not sure why I started cutting it at the top first but I did. I felt like I was doing a decent job with my professional hair cutting scissors and I think I got a little carried away. When I laid the scissors down and ran my fingers through it, it was short. Like really short. And when I stepped back and looked at it, I hadn't done that great of a job. The very front was too short and the middle was longer than it should be and since I hadn't touched the back or done much to the sides, it looked a little....uuummmmmm.....he had a mullet. I was so upset about it that I stopped immediately. I was scared to continue for fear that I would damage it beyond repair. With encouragement (and a little laughter!) from Collin, I began psyching myself up for the dreaded Cool Cuts for Kids visit that I knew needed to happen this morning. This is Cayden on the way to Cool Cuts this morning.

Business in the front, party in the back! Aagghhh! That's what I kept telling Collin last night that was going through my head. It's the mullet motto. Ick.

We talked all the way there about how he was going to get his hair cut and he was a big boy and needed to be brave. I bonded with another mom there this morning who said that her son was that way until he was 3 years old. You mean I have another 1+ years of this?! I was armed with suckers and all sorts of things but when it came time, nothing worked. He actually liked to sit in the little car this time and loved turning the wheel and pretending he was driving, but once she put the cape on him, it was all over. Kicking, screaming, throwing his arms and body all directions. He was one big snotty mess. He was thrashing around so much that he banged his head on the steering wheel. We went through 3 suckers. Nothing worked. He wouldn't hold still so I was having to forcibly hold his head still for the girl, which of course made it worse. It was awful. Here's the finished product.

It's the shortest haircut that he's ever had. The girl was like, "I had to cut it really short to get it to look right." Ha! Yeah, thanks lady :) She fixed it silly and put this stuff in it that lacquered it to his head. I think I'll be able to fix it cuter myself.

So, after that was over, helmet head and I ran over to Discount Tire to have the tires rotated. We checked in, they told me the wait was 45 minutes and then we ran into the restroom. While I am washing my hands in the sink, Cayden decides that he wants to wash his hands too and sticks his hand in the toilet and starts moving it around. I just about died. I washed his hands in the sink really well and then used antibacterial about 4 times on him. So gross!

Tonight is a girls night for me and I am SO ready for it! Momma needs a night off :)

3 comments:

Draven Ames said...

Interesting blog. Did you make design it yourself? I enjoy your writing and will check this again. I remember when I was the same way about my kids. Now, he will be ready to go anytime you like.

Draven Ames
http://dravenames.blogspot.com/

Brittany Lynn said...

I just found your blog while looking up on google ideas on how to talk my little boy into letting me cut his hair. And we must be soul mates, because as I was reading about your son swishing his hands in the toilet, I noticed my son was quiet....so I went looking for him. Where was he? Sticking his toys in the toilet. Jack will be two on February 9th, it must be a two year old thing?

The Day's said...

Haha, maybe it is an almost 2 year old thing! Good luck with the hair cut. Hopefully you'll do better than me :) I'll have to check out your blog!