Friday, October 8, 2010

Our house...it's a very, very very fine house


While I love the house that we're in, it's no secret that I was a little bummed that it doesn't have a fireplace. It obviously wasn't a deal breaker but I've wanted to put one in for the last 16 months. And I'm thrilled to say that we're doing it!!! It will be an electric fireplace and won't actually give off ay heat. We could have had them vent it and make it functional but we decided that living in Texas where it doesn't get terribly cold, it wasn't worth the extra money. I'm planning to get one of those non-cheesy looking electric logs so we can have the look of fire without the mess! Probably one of the ones that just looks like embers burning. Where do you get those anyway? The thing I'm most excited about is getting to decorate the mantle!!! We will get to hang stockings this year in the traditional way and that makes me very happy!

This is a random picture of Cayden that I took with my phone from earlier this week but it kind of shows the big, empty space in the corner of the family room where the fireplace is going. I didn't take a before shot. Shame on me.

Cayden was excited when Pawpaw and the workers arrived at 8:30 yesterday morning. He was very interested in everything they were doing and especially likes the plastic that they laid down to walk on through the rest of the house. Ha! In about an hour, they had ripped up the carpet and framed it. They are very fast. I was totally impressed. Cayden was making this sort of hop scotch game out of the nail gun hose while he ate breakfast and watched them work.


The drywall guy came out around 12:45 yesterday afternoon and I am thrilled to tell you that Cayden slept through most of the noise. And that's saying a lot because it was NOISY. Cayden's bed is on the other side of the fireplace so he had rest time with me in our bed and it went better than I was afraid it would. It meant that I wasn't able to get anything done, which totally stunk since I needed to be tagging items for a multi-family garage sale, but oh well. Drywall guy was here for about 4 hours and then took off. He did a fabulous job.


After he finished texturing and left, my dad got in there and wired it for electricity. I am so blessed to have a dad that's great with all things handy and mechanical and scientific and mathematic and...I could literally go on and on because he's just crazy smart and talented, but suffice it to say that I am super thankful for him! He wired it all - put a plug in the firebox and put a switch on the wall. I love that I'll be able to flip a light switch and turn on my fireplace! Thanks dad - you're the best!

They aren't able to come today so they're coming back Monday and will probably finish then. Our house will just be a wreck until then. I normally wouldn't be thrilled about that fact but for some reason, for this cause - I'm not that broken up about it :)


Collin really liked it when he got home yesterday. It's a little shocking to see because they did a lot in a short amount of time and it definitely makes the room look smaller. But, as my parents said yesterday, it adds character, and I think once we're able to put everything back where it goes and get it decorated it will look bigger. I'll post pictures when it's finished!

0 comments: