Friday, August 20, 2010

Collin's Birthday at the Zoo

Collin's birthday was Wednesday and I have to say, I was quite sneaky this year. He REALLY wanted a Mac and we had talked about getting one this fall, all the while I was secretly planning to surprise him for his birthday. Our families pitched in to help with a little of the cost so that was nice. I planned a scavenger hunt with clues all over the house for him to find his gift on Tuesday night. After we had gone out to dinner at Mi Cocina with my parents to celebrate birthdays (my mom's birthday is the 17th!), we came back to our house for dessert. I had, unbeknownst to Collin, driven to Cheesecake Factory in Arlington and gotten his absolute favorite - red velvet cheesecake. He and my mom both loved the dessert!

Collin figured out all the clues, the last of which led him to his brand new MacBook Pro. To say that he was surprised is an understatement. He was in shock and is very pleased with his newest gadget. And I have to say, I am quite pleased with it myself. It does some crazy cool
things and I LOVE being able to surf the internet, type a blog, or check facebook from my bed. I have never had a laptop before and it's so convenient to be able to do these things sitting on the couch or wherever. And not on my little iphone screen!

We had made plans with the Simpson's to go to NRH2O on Wednesday and have some fun in the sun. We were supposed to meet them at Dunkin' Donuts at 9 AM for a quick celebratory breakfast before driving out to North Richland Hills. Cayden woke up at 11:40 on Tuesday night acting like he felt bad. Shortly after midnight, he vomited and then again about twenty minutes after that. Cleaning up vomit is not exactly what one would like to be doing to ring in their birthday but Collin did it like a champ! Cayden acted much better after he threw up a couple times and sipped on some pedialite. After keeping that down for a while, we were finally all able to go back to bed - around 2:30. Obviously, we didn't go to the water park the next day. Cayden woke up about 10:15 AM and I fed him some toast and some more pedialite. After keeping that down, I gave him some more bland things and he continued to be fine. We decided to try and go to the zoo. After all, Collin had taken vacation to go to NRH2O and I hated to spend his vacation just sitting around the house. I had been really looking forward to doing something fun! Sooo, we loaded up the car and met the Simpson's at the zoo that afternoon. It had been overcast and drizzly that morning so we were excited that the temp would be cooler. So much for that thought! It was very HOT but also very fun! And thankfully Cayden did awesome and felt fine. We think he just ate something that didn't agree with him. Here are some pictures from Collin's birthday at the zoo.

If you know me well you know that even being in the MOLA (Museum of Living Art, which houses reptiles, including all the snakes...ick) is a big deal. But I do not want to be one of those parents that project my fears onto my children, so I'm coping. I thought taking a picture of Cayden and daddy getting up close and personal with the gigantic snake was a good start :)


Watching the movie about our great state in the Texas area of the zoo. Maylee REALLY wanted to hold Cayden's hand. He was apprehensive but finally gave in for a bit!

Chillaxin'


Not a very good picture but it's the only one we got of us girls and the kids

His favorite way to travel!

One very tired little boy! His parents were pretty worn out, too! Collin enjoyed the rest of his evening playing with his Mac. I see a long, happy relationship between those two :)

0 comments: