Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Family photos, ramblings, and a few recipes

As mentioned in a previous post, we had some family photos taken last month. The uber-talented Ryan Price (www.ryanpricephoto.com) took our pics and if you're looking for some artsy not just your run of the mill smile at the camera photos, I highly recommend him. He's out of College Station but willing to travel. He did a great job of capturing the many faces of Cayden and really hit the nail on the head when it comes to lifestyle photography. I feel like these pictures captured our family well...if that makes sense. Here are just a few of our favorites.



I am finally feeling back to my old self - that stomach virus was nasty! - and now am in 'crazy we leave for vacation next week' mode. There is lots to be done and I won't bore you with those details but I did want to share a couple of recipes. For Mother's Day (which was a lovely day spent with my boys, forgive my lack of blogging about it), we had my parents over for dinner. I made salmon (Cayden's favorite - he LOVES it!), baked potatoes, fruit salad, my mom brought a veggie, and I made these rolls.

Hello love. Actually, mine didn't look like those because I don't have a rusty iron skillet, but mine came out equally beautiful in a cake pan. These are the pioneer woman's Buttered Rosemary Rolls and if you like rosemary, you will love them. I happen to love rosemary and I could eat my own weight in bread, so these are right up my alley.

Ingredients
  • Frozen, Unbaked Dinner Rolls (I use the Rhodes brand in the orange package)
  • Melted Butter, Regular, Salted
  • Fresh Rosemary, Coarsely Chopped (I used bottled, it was fine)
  • Coarse Sea Salt
Preparation Instructions

Spray a small iron skillet with cooking spray (or coat with olive oil). Place frozen rolls in the skillet, leaving plenty of room for rising. Cover and allow to rise for several hours. I used a round cake pan and was able to 7 in there with plenty of room for rising.

After rising (about 5 hours), brush rolls with melted butter.

Sprinkle on chopped rosemary. Brush with additional butter. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.

Bake according to roll package directions, until rolls are a deep golden brown on top. Yum!


I also made a Neiman Marcus Cake. I am not nearly as sophisticated as the Pioneer Woman and I don't have pictures of all my recipes. Sorry. And I'm not sure why it's called a Neiman Marcus cake but it is, so whatever. Maybe they sell it in the restaurant there. I wouldn't know seeing as I've only eaten there like once in my life. Anyway, my sweet Larissa asked me for the recipe and instead of just emailing it to her, I thought I would post it here so other interested people can make it too!

Neiman Marcus Cake

Ingredients

  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (16) oz. box powdered sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 (8) oz. pkg cream cheese
Preparation Instructions

Combine cake mix, melted butter, and 2 eggs. Mix well and pat into a greased 9x13 pan. In the same bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 2 eggs; mix well. Pour over bottom layer and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Reserve 2 T. of powdered sugar for top after baking. This is an easy cake to whip up when you're in the mood for something different. I rarely make it but Collin always likes it when I do!

My birthday just happens to be yesterday (I'm still in denial that I'm 29 - had a great day, again forgive my lack of blogging about it) and we had some precious people over last night to celebrate. We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and had potato salad, cantaloupe, and strawberry shortcake. My my sweet momma made the hamburger patties - she used a recipe that some friends of ours gave us in college and I thought some other people out there in blogland might enjoy.

Zesty Hamburgers

Ingredients

  • Lean ground beef (not extra lean because it needs to have some fat in it)
  • Finely diced onion
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (not too much cheese because you want the patties to stay together and not fall apart on the grill)
  • Worcestershire
  • Tony Chachere (I probably butchered that spelling) seasoning
Preparation Instruction

This is the kind of recipe that I used to hate. I would call my mom from college and ask her how much of something to put in a recipe and she would say, "Ohhh, I don't know. Just do it until it looks right." It drove me nuts and now I say that all the time. I am my mother's daughter. Just add a little of everything until it looks - and smells - right. Careful with the Tony Chachere-too much makes them potent and not great. Make them into patties and stick them in the freezer for a few minutes before grilling them - it helps them to stick together.

Alright, I guess that's about it. I'm off to tackle the mounds of laundry on my playroom floor. 6 days until we leave for vacation!!!

1 comments:

Stephanie Poor said...

Mmm.. have to admit, I'm a touch green with envy over those photos. They are precious & beautiful! I hate stepping in front of the camera - they don't make the lenses wide enough these days ;D (in dire need of an intense summer diet/workout plan) but I would SO love some photos like those of our family. Seriously, SO GORGEOUS! The recipes look so yummy!! And maybe a bit counterproductive for a diet... oh well. ;D