Thursday, October 22, 2009

Am I the only one?

One of my biggest pet peeves right now is for strangers to touch my child. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's true. We are smack dab in the middle of flu season in a city where the infection seems to be running rampant. If I have to run errands with child in tow, I would like to be able to do so without fear of strangers touching his hands (which he will later put into his mouth) or his head and face (eewww!). Why do people feel the need to touch a child that they do not know? I don't know you or whether or not you are a frequent hand washer or whether or not you're getting over being sick. I would never go up to a baby whose parents I don't know and touch his face (like the sketchy woman at the drycleaners today). I guess I can understand the urge to love on my little monkey though, he is pretty cute...even if I am baised.

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are definitely not the only one! I don't even have my child yet, but I can't stand it when people even stand too close to me. I'm a bit of a germaphobic... but for good reasoning!

Ashley said...

Ugh, I know! I can't stand it! Right now, I don't even touch my friends' babies if we are in public before I wash my hands and ask them!