Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It starts early...

I have recently learned that your children start to embarrass you very early on. Let me preface this story by saying that Cayden is a HUGE grunter. He makes these deep, from his gut, grunting noises all the time. Very loud grunting noises. Now for my story. So, Cayden and I ventured out a few times last week. I was so proud of him for behaving so well. He does a great job in public and I'm so relieved for that. He only gets fussy when he gets hungry. So, last Friday when my mom and I were shopping at Kohl's and it was time for a feeding, I retreated to the bathroom to nurse. There weren't any chairs or anything in there so I just went into one of the large handicap stalls to feed Cayden. There was no one in the restroom and I was relieved because he's known to be somewhat of a loud eater at times. Well, about five minutes into our feeding, into the bathroom walks about eight people. And not 30 seconds later, my child starts grunting loudly. And continuously. It suddenly occurred to me that the other people in the bathroom didn't know that I had a baby in the stall with me and they probably thought that it was me making those noises. And we're in a bathroom so that makes it even better. So then I started talking to Cade saying things like, "Ohhh, you're such a grunter!" I didn't want them to think that some woman was in the stall straining to...you know what! When I told Collin that I started talking to Cayden, he said that the people probably thought that I was talking to myself! So not only did they think that I was loud and constipated but that I was crazy, too! I finished feeding Cayden, burped him, and waited for everyone to leave the bathroom before I ventured out! Ha!

My baby is 5 weeks old today! I can hardly believe it! He was 1 month last Friday and on Saturday we had his 1 month pictures taken. I will be posting them very soon. I know I'm biased, but they are precious :) He's changing so much everyday. His eyes seem to constantly be getting bigger and brighter. He's more alert and sometimes responsive to Collin and I. Sometimes when he sticks his tongue out, I will stick mine out and he looks at me like I'm crazy. It makes me laugh! His hair is lightening up. It's still brown but it's not the almost black color that it was when he was born. His eyelashes are really coming in and they're a really light brown color so I wonder if that's what color his hair will end up being. He's a really good baby. He really only gets fussy when he's hungry or in pain. And he's such a cuddler. I love it. He loves to swing his arms and kick his legs. We joke that he's going to be a big handful when he gets older. I have a scary feeling that it's very true! And he's so long. He's starting to get too big for some of his newborn clothes. Not because of his width but just because of his length! He's so expressive, too. He makes the funniest faces and has the sweetest smile. I cannot put into words how much I love being his mommy. It's the hardest, most wonderful job I've ever had!

7 comments:

Honea Household said...

That story is priceless! haha! One time when the boy was a baby, we brought him to church with us. He was so quiet through all the singing and then when it got quiet for a prayer or the preaching or something, he squirts. LOUD! Jim and I just about cracked up.

The Day's said...

Ashley,

We are planning on going back to church this coming Sunday and I have a feeling it's going to be quite comical :)

Kimberly said...

One of my favorite places to nurse when I am at the mall or a store like that is in the dressing room. They always have a chair or a bench, too.

I can't believe our little boys are already a month old! I took Aiden today for his one month pictures and Emily ended up getting her 1 year pictures done, too. I put them on our blog so you will have to check out my beautiful babies. I can't wait to see Cayden's! He is so adorable!

Larissa said...

Ahh Cayden's such a little boy already! And the church thing is true. Miss Maylee always start making noise during the sermon and not during worship! Ha!

Thanks for coming to visit us yesterday! We loved having you guys : )

Love yall!

fransmomma said...

i'm so happy for ya'll! more pictures please!!!!

The Vann's said...

oh Kristin this story is so funny!
i love it!!

~Jody said...

oh man...I am cracking up! I had to stop Victoria from studying so I could tell her the story!!!