Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Update on our big move!

So, as I mentioned yesterday, we're here! The last week has been a whirlwind but I'll try to mention all of the noteworthy things. Last week was spent packing like crazy. On Friday, we both had our last days of work. My office threw me a surprise baby shower/going away party. It really helped to make my last day working there special and it meant a lot to me. We got lots of cute things for our little boy! My sweet friend Christa made 4 dozen cupcakes and spelled Cayden's name out. It was cute and very yummy! Here are a couple pictures.

I have a cuter picture than the above one, where I am not laughing, but it came out a little blurry. Oh-well!

Collin's office took him out to lunch last Thursday and Friday and then also had a little shin-dig for him after work on Friday. He didn't get a bunch of cute baby things like I did but he did get a bound book of some photoshoped pictures that his friends at work had done over his last 3 years of working there. 1 of the pictures was from a prank that they pulled last Thursday - kind of a final goodbye prank. They drove Collin's car to the McDonald's across the street from the office and left it there, after writing on it in white shoe polish, "FOR SALE $1,000 OBO". Collin started getting all of these phone calls on his cell phone that afternoon and had no idea what was going on. Like 10 calls in 15 minutes! He finally figured it out and they all got a big laugh out of it. Ha!

My parents arrived in Sugar Land on Friday afternoon and we spent that night packing up and loading cars. Actually, I say "we" but I didn't really do much. After doing a few things I was sent to the bedroom with Ace where we remained for a little while everyone else did manual labor. I felt really guilty not being able to do much while everyone else sweat and lifted and grunted in the other room, but everyone was really gracious about it. Saturday was an exhausting day of packing and loading the rental truck. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law, Nick, along with my parents and one of Collin's friends were a HUGE help on Saturday. Thank you so much to all of you! We arrived in Fort Worth at about 9:30 PM on Saturday night and were all sooo tired. And you should have seen my ankles - I've never seen such swollen feet in all my life. I would have taken a picture if I had known where my camera was! I literally had no ankle on my left foot. For some reason, my left foot swells a lot more than my right. So weird.

We have unpacked most things and are trying to get settled as best we can. We got a storage unit in town (it's weird typing that phrase..."in town", but if you saw where my parents live - out quite a ways in a neighborhood where each house is on at least 2 acres of land - you would understand that it really is a drive going "to town". And we use that phrase. It's sort of surreal to hear Collin say things like, "Do we need to pick up anything else while we're in town?" Ha!) so that's where a majority of our things are being held. We have quite a few things to get done before Collin starts his new job next Wednesday so it's nice to have this time. We already have a tour of the hospital that I will be delivering at set up in October and then we're taking a birthing class in November. We're doing both of those things with our friends the Simpson's that are due the middle of December. We're so blessed to be going through this with them. It makes it even sweeter and lots more fun! I have a doctor here and our first appointment with her is on September 30th. I've heard nothing but fabulous things about her and am eager to meet her! And they're doing another sonogram so we get to see our precious little boy again - I can hardly wait! Speaking of Cayden, we also went and registered at Pottery Barn Kids today. We decided to go with the alphabet bedding and are really excited about it!

Collin is trying to get a Bible study started with a friend here (Clint, of the infamous Simpson's) and he's very eager to get the ball rolling on it. He's excited about the study of God's word and the accountability most of all but also to meet some more Godly men in our new town. I am so excited for him! We have visited McKinney Memorial Bible Church when we were here a few weeks ago and really liked it. We aren't sure where we're going to join quite yet but getting plugged in to a church soon is top priority for both of us. We're so eager to discover what God has for us here and to find new ways to serve.

Ace is not doing as well with all of the change as we had hoped. We knew that last weeks have been a little stressful for him with all of the trips up here and then all of the boxes and the moving but we figured that once we got here that he would begin to adjust. Well, not so much. At least not yet. Our previously fun-loving, sweet, adores all people and acts more like a dog than a cat cat is gone. And instead we have a temperamental and sometimes mean cat. Ace acts fine to Collin and I. He rubs up on us and will cuddle with us in the night - same old Ace. But to my parents...he's not so nice. Especially my dad. We've caught Ace hissing at them and even clawing at them. My dad has gotten scratched. It's so weird. We aren't sure what the deal is. Normally, he loves people. And he's never had a problem with my parents, or anyone, before. It's so strange. I'm starting to get really concerned about what's going to happen when Cayden arrives. Collin doesn't think it will be a big deal. He says that it's a phase and once things settle down and we get back into a routine, all will be normal again. I really hope he's right! Have you ever had experience with that? My friend Larissa said that maybe we should start getting out baby lotion and letting Ace smell it while he's eating or something so he associates that smell with food, it makes a positive association in his mind, and he doesn't mind it. I'm not sure what to do. We welcome suggestions!

We have a realtor and are meeting with them on Monday of next week to go look at houses. We are living with my parents in the meantime and so far it's working out nicely. We basically have the entire upstairs to ourselves so we do have some sense of privacy. It's nice getting to eat with them every night and share food! Collin is loving it because I do not buy Dr.Pepper (I am not big on soda...I think it's terrible for you and we rarely have it in our home) and my mom does so he's getting a special treat!

So, that's basically what's going on in our world. I know this is insanely long but we've had a lot going on! We hope that everyone reading this is doing fabulous. Drop us a line and let us know what's new in your world!

2 comments:

The Vann's said...

Hey Kristin and Collin,
We miss ya'll already and it hasn't even been a week. I'm glad ya'll are sort of settled in. I can't wait to hear about all the houses you look at. That will be so fun (but can also be exhausting so bring lots of snacks and water). We love ya'll and are looking forward to seeing you when you come down for your shower in November!

Love,
Carissa

Honea Household said...

So fun to get an update! Glad y'all are getting settled and hopefully home-shopping won't take too long or be too difficult. :)

Miss you!
Ash