Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hurricane Ike Happenings

The past week has been a whirlwind but we're alive and well...praise the Lord. I will try to make this as brief as possible. We evacuated in a huge hurry last Wednesday night. We decided that since Ike had moved directions and with me being pregnant, we didn't want to take any chances (with having no power and food shortages, etc.) so we went ahead and fled the city. We drove to my parents in Fort Worth and got there in the middle of the night. Collin's family also fled the city and we felt much better once we knew they were all safely out. We were glued to the TV watching coverage of the storm for the next several days. Broke my heart watching the devastation. Our area in Sugar Land wasn't hit too bad. There are trees down and roof damage, but nothing too horrible. We got word that we had power (several areas in Sugar Land still don't), so we decided to get up early yesterday morning and drive back. We were saddened driving back into Houston yesterday. Huge trees on top of peoples houses, street lights hanging by a wire so low that they can almost touch tall vehicles, trees blocking roadways, roofs blown completely off. The further we got into Houston the longer the line of cars at gas stations seemed to get. I've never seen anything like it. I should try to get a picture of it. We got to our home and thankfully, there was no damage. Collin's parents and grandparents had it worse, especially his grandparents, but they have power now and no major damage to their houses. I am at work today - Collin will go back tomorrow. Many people at my office are without power and have damage to their homes. The president of my company has a giant tree through one of the windows in his house. And he's without power. And has a 3 year old. I have a friend that lives in Pearland (which is southeast) who has a 2-story house. The roof of her house collapsed and is on the second floor. Her and her hubby have a 2 year old and a 3 month old. And no power. So many people have it really bad right now. It's terrible...

We filled my car up with gas yesterday in College Station before we got into Houston so I still have about 3/4 of a tank. Collin's car is completely empty and we're dreading having to get it. Collin said that this afternoon it looks like the gas line at the station across the street isn't quite as backed up so maybe we'll be able to get it after waiting in line for only an hour or so. Local news has been on the TV at my office all day and they've been announcing which gas stations around the city actually have gas, many are out. I went yesterday and bought locking gas caps for both of our cars.

Collin walked to Kroger this afternoon (it's right across the street) and said there's hardly anything there. We stocked up on food when we passed through College Station yesterday(which by the way, the grocery store that we stopped at in College Station was out of all cartons of normal, non-organic or Promise Land milk...they were out all the way in College Station - that's like 90 miles from where we live...does that give you an idea of how bad it is?!?), so we should be OK until we move this weekend. Since we weren't here all weekend and had planned to do a majority of our packing then, we are really behind on getting ready to move. Not to mention that the aftermath of the storm has proved to be difficult in planning a move, anyway. We covet your prayers during the next several days. I keep thinking about how we're going to look back on this time and laugh, thinking about how crazy everything was and saying things like, "I cannot believe that we did all of that." But right now, in the midst of it, it's not funny!


Honea Household said...

I'm praying for you guys! My aunt and uncle that live in Kingwood still don't have power. She's a teacher and doesn't have school until at least the 25th. It's crazy.