Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Mama's Chicken Enchiladas & my twist on Paula Deen's Peach Cobbler

My sister-in-law asked me for my chicken enchilada recipe a while back and I decided to just post it on here in case anyone else was interested. I love getting new recipes so if you have any you want to share, bring them on!

Chicken Enchiladas by Vickie Wolcott

INGREDIENTS:
3-4 chicken breasts, boiled and cut into strips (I generally use 4 chicken breasts)
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 T. butter
1 c. chopped onion (I use about 1 T. of onion flakes because we're not big onion fans)
1/4 c. chopped green chilies
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. basil
1 t. cumin
10 oz. grated cheddar cheese
1 c. sour cream
8 flour tortillas (large size)

DIRECTIONS:
Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add cut up tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, and chilies. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Dunk tortillas (both sides!) in tomato mixture to soften. Fill tortilla with chicken and 2 T. grated cheese. Roll up and place, seam side down, in 9x12 baking dish. Add sour cream to tomato mixture and pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. I usually serve this with mexican rice along with guacamole and chips. Enjoy!



I have always loved peach cobbler but never had a recipe that I loved until I found this one online. I added a few little things of my own that we think make it better, so I am including them in the recipe below.

Peach Cobbler by Paula Deen (Kristin style)

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups peeled, sliced peaches (this ends up being 5 good sized peaches)
1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 cup water
dash of nutmeg
1 t. vanilla
8 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups milk
ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

DIRECTIONS:
Combine the peaches, 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, water, nutmeg, and vanilla in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Put the butter in a 2 1/2 -3 quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. It will look weird - this is normal. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top generously with ground cinnamon. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Definitely serve with ice cream on top. Yum!

3 comments:

fransmomma said...

yum!!! i'm totally going to try these enchiladas. how are you feeling? when do you find out what you're having??

Honea Household said...

I cannot WAIT to try these...they look so yummy.

The Day's said...

Just a tip on the peach cobbler - make sure you use self-rising flour. Or at least add the appropriate amount of baking powder to your regular flour (I'm not sure of the ratio but you could probably look it up online) to ensure that it rises. When I found the recipe online, it had great reviews but several people said that they didn't use self-rising flour and it was a gooey mess. I wouldn't want that to happen to you!