Thursday, August 7, 2008

BOY or GIRL? What do YOU think?

We find out on August 19th! We are both so anxious to know. When I wake up in the morning, one of my first thoughts is, “only __ more days until we know what this baby is!” I am ready to move away from the green and yellow section in the baby stores and start shopping in the pink or blue!

People keep asking us what we think we’re having and honestly, our answer just depends on how we feel that day. We both change our minds frequently. We really hope to be blessed eventually with both genders so we don’t really care what this first one is. I have always pictured myself with a boy first and Collin’s always pictured himself with a girl first so we’ll see whose mental picture becomes reality.

I want to know what you think it is! I have posted a list of Old Wives Tales below & our answers for anyone who swears by any of these methods to make a more accurate prediction.

Old Wives Tales:

Chinese Gender Prediction Chart - The Chinese came up with a lunar calendar to determine gender. You can google these and find them online. It takes the mother’s age at conception and the month that conception occurred and tells you what you're having. When I did, it said we were having a = GIRL

Heartbeat - They say that if the baby's heartbeat is slower (below 140), you are more likely having a boy and if it's faster (above 140) you're more likely having a girl. The first heartbeat we heard was at 7 weeks was 143 bpm. All appointments since then (3) it has been well into the 160's. According to the theory, we are more likely having a = GIRL

Ring Test - There is an old wives tale that says that if you take off your wedding ring, place it on a chain, and hang it over your belly, the way that it swings can tell you your baby's gender. If it swings back & forth, you're having a girl. If it swings in a circular motion, you're having a boy. When I did the ring test, it was a = GIRL

Mayan Age Predictor Test - There is an old Mayan Indian theory that says that if you take the mother's age at conception and the year of conception and add them together, the resulting number could tell you if you're pregnant with a girl or boy. If the numbers even, it means girl. If the number's odd, it means boy. Ours is even = GIRL

Morning Sickness - Some people swear that you are sicker with girls than with boys. Since I had a relatively easy first trimester without any vomiting, according to this theory that would mean we're having a = BOY

Increased Acne - There's a theory that says that if you have more pimples while you're pregnant (which I definitely do), then you're having a girl = GIRL


I must say that I do not believe in any of these and the gender of the baby is totally up to the good Lord. I have known people that were crazy sick with their boys, people who never got nauseas with their girls, and people that broke out horribly with their boys. None of these really mean anything - it's just our body’s way of reacting to all the hormones and different things going on. The only one that makes any sense at all to me is the heart rate, but even that I am doubtful about. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I am so excited to know!

Sooo, what do you think we’re having? Vote on the poll (at the top right) and then also post your answer in the comments section because I want to know how you voted!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Either way I'm so excited for you guys! And I can't wait to try out your peach cobbler recipe - it sounds great! :) Can't wait to see you again soon for the conference!! I'm so excited for it and we'll have to try to sneak in some shopping for you and Riss if we have time since you guys will both know what you're having by then!

Anonymous said...

Well, I voted for a baby girl! That's the way I feel today! So excited; can hardly wait.
Love you guys,
DeeDee

The Vann's said...

I vote boy because I just have felt you were going to have a boy since you said you were pregnant!

Love ya!
-C

Honea Household said...

Oh my goodness, I have no idea! I know several people who are pregnant and it's just so hard to guess. Amanda Jones, Beth Moore's daughter is pregnant, and she said it perfectly the other day. "We are blessed either way! Thank You, Lord! I'm so glad He is in control. If He gave me the choice, I'd honestly ask Him to make it for me. He knows exactly what we need!"

Alright, I'll take a guess...boy!

The Day's said...

Ash,

We have no idea, either, and honestly, we don't really care. We are so blessed either way and are beyond excited that God is blessing us with a child. Our prayer is that it's healthy. I just want to know the gender so I can start planning and shopping! I actually read the post of Amanda Jones that you quoted - so funny!

Hope you're having fun with Erin and the boys in town!

Rissa said...

Okay Im going to put my vote in, even thought it changes everyday! Maybe I'll just have to vote for both!Hehe!

Im going with Collin's theory and voting for boy!
He was correct with us so he might know something we don't!

Im going to try and make the cobbler tonight! Hopefully I can bake this!! Im excited! Thank you for sharing your yummy recipe!

Love ya!
Riss

p.s. My Aunt started a blog and she going to start adding recipes. Im excited! She has some yummy different recipes so you def need to check it out when you get a chance.( She's the one who we got the cinnamon rolls from and also the breakfast pizza)

The Day's said...

Ris,

Your aunt is the bomb. I think I have about half a dozen recipes that we love from that aunt of yours! I'll have to check it out.

And don't give Collin all the credit - I've said all along I feel like it's a boy! We'll just see!

Your cobbler will be great. Just make sure you use self-rising flour. Wish we could come over for it tonight! Miss you guys so much!!

Clint said...

Ok my vote is that it's a boy. I don't think the world is ready for a little Larissa AND a little Kristin all in the same timeframe. The malls couldn't handle it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I voted for a girl. Reason? I need to ballance up the grand kids. That would make 5 boys and 5 girls.

Dad (Paa Paa??????)