Friday, June 20, 2008

Salt + Sweet = LIFESAVER

Thus far I have been fortunate to have avoided horrific morning sickness. I get queasy but if I go eat something, I feel better and go on about my day. It's not been a great scenario for my waistline eating every 3 or so hours, but it keeps me away from hugging the toilet so I'm not complaining. Well, I felt awful this morning when I got to work. I tried all my old tricks. I ate a granola bar and some gingersnap cookies and lo-and-behold...I still felt very nauseous. Well, thankfully yesterday at my dermatologist appointment (yes, I am still breaking out like a middle school gal), my doctor was telling me that when she was pregnant with both of her kids she was nauseas and the only thing that made her feel better was eating salty potato chips and drinking lemonade. She said something about the salty and the sweet made her feel way better. Then I made a friend at the dermatologists office who told me the same thing. Maybe this is a wide known thing, but I had never heard of it. I stored it in my memory as useful but hopefully unnecessary information for me and went on about my day. Well, I am so glad today that I learned that helpful bit of information. I ran to Quizno's a little while ago to get some chips and lemonade and try it out. They didn't have lemonade but I got a Sierra Mist and the Salt & Vinegar chips. I was THRILLED to discover when I got in the car to try it that it actually works! I felt much better after just a minute - it totally calmed my stomach. I could have kissed my dermatologist in that moment. Who knew?!? Not me. But I have been telling everyone at my office and none of them have ever heard of it either. So, for all of you out there that were like me and didn't know this little tid-bit of information, this is totally useful and it actually works. Tell all your prego friends and family!!!

4 comments:

Honea Household said...

you're hilarious.

fransmomma said...

i've never heard that. something i would have liked to know. oh, well. i'll be sure and pass it on. hope you get to feeling better!!

fransmomma said...

i have to share this with you...
not even an hour after i read this post i got a call from a friend of mine who just found out she's expecting and is miserably nauseas. i was able to tell her about the chips and lemonade thing!! haven't heard if it worked or not, but i thought "wow, God is so good!" even in the little things!! :)

The Day's said...

Amy,

How great! God never ceases to blow my mind with how He truly looks out for us in all things. I thought the same thing when I got sick yesterday. I hope it helped your friend. It definitely makes me feel better temporarily. Thanks for telling me about this!