Monday, June 9, 2008

Quick Update & Prayer Request

I've been meaning to blog for a while now but haven't found the time until now. We've had some fun and some not-so-fun things happen in the last couple of weeks. Here's a quick recap and then I'll get to the real reason of this post.

Collin's little brother, who is not so little anymore!, graduated from high school on May 30th. We were very proud of him - it was a great night. The next morning, Collin and his dad took their family pet, Cierra (the best boxer EVER to walk this earth) to the vet to have her put down. It was a sad situation and words do not do justice to the mood of that day. She was 10.5 years old and we're pretty sure she had cancer. She had been very sick for a while and it was getting to the point that she was in obvious pain. As difficult as it was on everyone, it was the right decision. Collin held her body as the vet injected the drug into her bloodstream and she slowly went lifeless. As hard as that was for him to do, I kept telling him after that that she would have wanted his arms around her as she drifted off to sleep. She was a great dog and will be greatly missed.

I have been feeling more and more cruddy but such is to be expected I guess. Still no puking (although I did gag yesterday for the first time over a meatball sandwich...I thought it sounded good, boy was I WRONG!) but I'm getting more and more queasy as the day's go on. Only 24 more days until I am 13 weeks and officially in the 2nd trimester. July 2nd cannot get here fast enough :)

OK- so here's the prayer request part of this blog. I got a call from my OB last week saying that my bloodwork results had come back that I am a carrier for cystic fibrosis. If you are anything like me, you didn't know much about the disease. So, here's a crash course in my own language from what I have researched on Web MD. Cystic Fibrosis is a disease that interferes with the way that water and salt move in and out of mucus cells in our bodies. Cystic Fibrosis causes mucus to be really thick and, in turn, it makes it difficult to keep your organs, especially your lungs, clean. The only way for a child to have cystic fibrosis is if BOTH of the parents are carriers of the disease. So, tomorrow morning at 8:45 AM, Collin will have his blood taken to see if he is a carrier. 1 in 25 people are carriers, so we have good odds that he is not, but you never know. Cystic Fibrosis is a very serious disease (I learned in my research that most people with the disease do not live to see their 40th birthday) and we beg you that you join us in prayer that Collin is not a carrier so that this baby, nor any other child we might have in the future, is even at risk of this disease. I'm not sure how long it will take to get the blood results...hopefully we will know something by the end of the week. Thank you SO MUCH for the prayers.

-KD

1 comments:

Honea Household said...

I am praying so hard for you! Keep me up to date. I know you are worried. I love you.