Monday, June 30, 2008

I think my "pregnancy brain" has set in...

I have heard it said from various friends of mine that have had babies that your brain turns to "mush" once you become pregnant (and never goes back to normal after childbirth, but that's a whole different topic). You become forgetful and absent-minded. I haven't given much thought to this phenomena...until last week. I was the first one to arrive at my office. I unloaded all of my things (I have lots of stuff that travels with me to the office) outside the door so that I could use my right hand to unlock the door and my left hand to jiggle the handle to get it open...it's a little persnikity. I opened the door to the sound of the alarm beeping at me, just like any other morning. Only on this day, something unusual happened. My mind went blank on my alarm code. I could not remember it to save my life. I started entering series of 4 numbers, none of which were correct. The alarm beeping seemed to get louder as I watched the timer count down the seconds until the crazy loud alarm was going to sound. My heart was racing. With my cell phone in one hand, I called one of my bosses on his cell to get him to tell me his alarm code really quick. Of course he didn't answer. All of a sudden, the alarm started sounding. It was so loud I couldn't even think. I am sure they could hear it all the way across the street at the Mercedes dealership. I then remembered that I had the code written down on a little slip of paper in my wallet. I ran outside to where I had left my purse and all of my personal belongings sitting next to the door and rifled through my wallet until I found it. I ran inside, entered the code, and made a sigh of relief as the terribly loud noise subsided. I immediately ran outside to grab my wallet, which was still laying on the ground wide open (I know mom, a bad idea) and all of my various food items and things that travel with me to work on a daily basis. I heard the work phone ringing from outside, so I hurried in the door and dropped all my stuff on the ground as I ran to get the phone. I knew it would be the alarm company calling to get the sercurity word from me. I felt a sigh of relief as I knew that I could tell them the code and this mess would be over. As I reached for the phone, it stopped ringing. The night voicemail system was still on and the call had rolled over to voicemail. NO! I wanted to scream. I immediately called my bosses cell phone - no answer. I then called his house. His wife answered. She was very nice as I explained what had happened. While we were on the phone, the alarm company beeped into her line and she clicked over to answer the call. It turns out that she didn't know the security word so even though she told them that everything was fine and even though they told her that they would not dispatch the police, they did. Fifteen minutes later, while I am on the phone with the alarm company verifying that they're not sending the police out, a cop shows up. He asked me what the problem was and I almost told him that my baby is making me stupid. But I didn't. I smiled and explained the situation. He acted suspicious, but all cops act that way. They must teach them that in police academy training school. He asked me how long I have worked here and when I told him almost 2 years, he looked at me strange. Then he said something along the lines of, "And you just randomly forgot your code this morning?" I wanted to smack him upside the head for making me feel even worse. Fun times.

**In my defense, I would like to add that I was only off on my code by 1 number. And my friend Christa told me that she's forgotten her code before and she's never been pregnant. And I'm definitely sure that will not be the last time during this pregnancy that I will do dumb, forgetful things.

2 comments:

fransmomma said...

oh girl, i can so relate. i had a bad memory to begin with but now...forget about it. i can't remember my own name sometimes. kidding. it's not that bad but pretty dern close. allen could write a book about all the things i've forgotten in the 4 & 1/2 years since i got pregnant to now. and i'm told the more you have, the worse it gets!! yikes!

Anonymous said...

Since you chastised me (just kidding) on the phone this am for not posting a comment...here goes. I really like the "summer look" of your blog and I enjoyed the alarm story. Can't wait for ya'll to come home this weekend...and shopping for maternity clothes tomorrow will be lots of fun! Drive safe...
Love,
MOM