Friday, May 23, 2008

Attack of the killer duck

In case you haven't figured it out by our latest post, let me spell it out for you:

WE'RE PREGNANT!!!

We're thrilled and very thankful for this amazing turn in our lives and a post is coming soon about all the fun details that I know you are dying to hear :) But, this post is about something else...

I was attacked this morning in the parking lot of my office. My perpetrator was none other than a duck. If you are anything like me, you had no idea that ducks are actually vicious creatures. I used to love going to the park to feed the ducks. Well, no more my friend. This child in my tummy will never know that joy because now I know that ducks will come right up out of the water and try to bite you! Here's how it happened:

I was running about 5 minutes late to work because I stopped by Chick-fil-A to grab breakfast. I pull up in my regular parking place and quickly try to grab all of my things (these days I have a large Walmart sack that goes with me to work everyday filled with a variety of fairly nutritious foods and my tums because heartburn's a killer lately) to hurry inside. I am on the phone with a friend so while I'm distracted talking to her, I missed the duck running across the parking lot right for me. I heard the duck's squawking getting louder and when I turned around to look, it was about 20 feet from me. I remember saying to my friend, "I think this duck is coming to get me". But in the back of my mind, I was thinking, 'Surely not. Ducks are friendly, sweet creatures and I have done nothing to provok it.' I started moving from side to side to see if it was following me, and sure enough, everytime I moved it changed directions, too. As it inched closer to me, I started getting a little freaked out. I began running backwards because I didn't want to take my eyes off of it to turn around and run, just in case it was a duck that could run at ninja speed and would start biting my heels. I quickly told my friend that I had to let her go and began yelling at the duck. I don't know if I thought the duck was going to get scared and run off or what but whatever I thought didn't happen because the duck kept getting closer and closer to me. We ran in large circles around the parking lot, me swinging my Walmart sack at the duck to try and scare it off, the duck continuously squawking and snapping like it's going to bite me. My heart was racing and the entire time I was thinking, "This cannot be good for the baby!" Finally, I had a moment of genious. I grabbed my key ring that was in my hand and stumbled my fingers around until I found the alarm for my car. The alarm sounded and thankfully the crazy duck ran off. I was shaking all over and hypervenilating as I ran into my building. I feel confident in saying that if I weren't so quick on my feet, I would be at the hospital being treated for multiple duck bites to the legs at this very moment. :)

In the duck's defense, there are a nest of eggs in the bushes of the building next to ours. I think this might have been the mama duck and she was afraid I was going to somehow harm her babies. If this is the case, I understand and even appreciate her need to defend her young. What I don't understand is how she perceived me as a threat. I was parked nowhere near her or her nest nor did I try to go anywhere near her babies.

Who knew ducks were mean? Not me. But I will probably forevermore have a negative biased towards these animals that I used to think of as friendly. I have already talked to my boss this morning about doing something to run these ducks off. We'll see what happens.

1 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh, Kristin, I bet you were shocked and surprised that this mama duck was coming after you. If you were not fully awake before that happened, I am sure you were after the incident.