Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving Recap

We had a great Thanksgiving this year. We spent it in Houston, at Collin’s grandparents. It was a great time of food and fellowship. Collin’s Papaw from San Angelo was in town and it was the first time we had seen him since June’s funeral in August, so it was great to see him. It was also the first time we had seen Collin’s Aunt Cathy in quite a while, whom we love very much, so it was great to spend time with her.

I have been reflecting over the past few days how much we truly have to be thankful for. I am thankful first and foremost that I serve a sovereign God who loves me and desperately seeks to spend time with me everyday. I am thankful that He sent His Son to die on a cross for my sins despite my ugly heart and sinful nature. I am thankful for my husband, who consistently shows me unconditional love and who God uses to make me a better person. I am thankful for my parents - who are selfless, compassionate, wise, stern, complete goofballs, and love Jesus very much…everything I could have ever ask for in parents. I am thankful for my in-laws, who are also complete goofballs and love Jesus very much. You hear horror stories of people’s in-laws and what terrible relationships they have. I love my in-laws! I am so blessed to have married into such a wonderful family who I truly enjoy being around. I am thankful that I have a nice place to come home to and a dependable car to drive. I am never in need of anything that I don’t have. I am thankful that Collin and I have good jobs. I am thankful that we get to be “pet parents” to sweet Acer. I am thankful for good friends who make life so much richer. And last but not least, I am thankful for good health. That one has seemed to really hit home this year. Last December, one of my oldest and dearest friends in the world, Kristin Craig Holland, was diagnosed with Stage 2 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. She was 25 and it was shocking. Thankfully, she made it through treatment and is now cancer-free (praise Jesus!!!). When you’re in your mid twenties you don’t usually worry too much about getting cancer. It was a scary reality when it happened to someone that I am so close to. Since then, I have known three other people in their mid twenties that have been diagnosed with one form of cancer or another (2 of those people are now cancer free and one is battling for his life with Stage 4 Small Cell Cancer of the Rectum – please pray for him and his family…his name is Jake and he’s 24 years old). With all of that said, this year I am very thankful for good health for us and those dear to us. God has been so good to us!

On Friday morning, Collin and I woke up at 4:15 AM (after 4 hours of sleep) to go to Circuit City to stand in line to get a good price on the video camera that we had our eye on. When we arrived, the line to get in was almost all the way around the store so we stood outside for about 20 minutes in the VERY cold weather (which we were not appropriately dressed for since we weren’t expecting to have to wait outside…we haven’t braved black Friday in a while, we forgot what it’s like). Once inside, we were told 3 different lines to stand in (there were about 6 in different spots all around the store). We finally picked one and stood in line there for 2 hours before we could check out. It was madness. We got our camcorder, though! Merry Christmas to us! We also got some other things that seemed to be too good of a deal to pass up. After that we went to I-Hop and then went home and went back to bed!

Hope everyone had a very Happy Thanksgiving and is now getting in the Christmas spirit. Less than 1 month until Christmas!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys made sweet memories this holiday! Glad you had a good one. Can't wait to see you this Christmas!

Riss