Monday, November 12, 2007

Our Bodies are a Temple – Let’s Get Healthy!

One of the days that I was at home still recuperating from surgery (I am SO much better, by the way), I was flipping channels and stopped on Oprah. She had Dr. Oz (a doctor that frequently appears on her show) on and he was talking about ways to reverse the aging process. There was so much good information that I thought I would write it down and share it. So, here it is:

THINGS TO DO IN YOUR HOUSE:

Take your shoes off at the front door to avoid tracking in pesticides and lawn chemicals that can get trapped in your carpet.

Never microwave your food in plastic containers. The plasticizers leak out and get into your food.

Lots of cleaning chemicals are toxic. You can use baking soda to clean your sinks and bathtubs and white vinegar to clean your windows. They also have a lot of “green” chemicals out on the market now that are safe and much healthier for you, your family, and for the environment. If a chemical says, “If it touches your skin, call a doctor immediately”, that’s probably not something you should be using.

After you pick up your dry cleaning, let it out of the bag (throw the bag away) and allow it to air out for 1 day before you wear it. It let’s the toxic chemicals out before you put it on your body.

Get a humidifier for damp spaces (such as garages if you live where it’s humid) because it cuts down on mold.

If you store old paints/varnishes in your garage, make sure it’s a well-ventilated area and as far away from the living area as possible.

Open your doors and windows and let your home air out every once in a while.

NASA has determined that the following plants do the best job of exchanging oxygen and removing materials that we don’t want from the air:

(WARNING – I am probably going to butcher these spellings, so please don’t laugh!)

o Spider Plants
o Golden Puddo’s
o Philindrums


Some of these are things that I already knew and some aren’t, but I thought it was all useful information. Dr. Oz talked a lot about exercising, and learning how to de-stress. He said that stress is the #1 ager. He also said that doing yoga was a good way to de-stress. That used to be something that I did but I haven’t in a long while so I am trying to get back into it. He talked about osteoporosis and showed an actual spine of someone who had it and then the spine of someone who didn’t (he brought in spines of dead people). There was a HUGE difference. The spine of the person with osteoporosis broke VERY easily in Oprah’s hand. Gross! This hit me hard because osteoporosis runs in my family. Dr. Oz said that one of the best things to do to fight this is to lift weights. I was great about this before our wedding, but since then I have been really bad about it. So, I am also starting to get back into this.

Dr. Oz talked a lot about eating healthy and being very continuous about what we put into our bodies. He had all of these nuts and weird fruits from foreign countries that no one had ever heard of. I didn’t write any of that down because I don’t plan to become fanatical about this. But, he did make this smoothie (it’s really not a smoothie although I prefer to think of it as a smoothie – somehow it makes me think that it will taste better) with normal ingredients that I am planning on trying. He says that these things combined are so good for you and he drinks this for breakfast several days a week. Oprah said it actually didn’t taste that bad – she called it freshness in a glass. I am planning on trying it soon.

Freshness in a Glass
4 stalks celery
1 cucumber
1 cup spinach
1 apple
1 lemon
1 lime
½ inch piece of ginger

Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth. We borrowed Collin’s parents’ juicer so I am planning on making it in that one night this week. I’ll let you know how it turns out!!

4 comments:

Honea Household said...

I love to watch Dr. Oz. He is great! But I don't know about that freshness in a glass. I hate celery and spinach! UGH! Let me know what you think about it. Yes, my doctor told me that it is VERY important for all women to lift weights because of the threat of osteoporosis. I lift weights and also take calcium. My bones are already so little that if I get osteoporosis, then I will really be in trouble. Miss you!

The Day's said...

Ash, I love to watch Dr. Oz, too! He just makes me want to be healthier!!! I don't like celery or spinach either so I am eager to see how this drink turns out. He said to make sure and include the apple because it doesn't taste nearly as good without it! I'll let you know how it is :) Miss you too!

Anonymous said...

So how did the Freshness in a Glass turn out????? I think I might need to give it a try just to get all this illness out of me! Love you guys! Larissa

The Day's said...

Ris,

I haven't made it yet but I plan to try it this weekend. I'll let you know how it is! Hope you feel better soon. Miss you!