Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Self-Proclaimed Weenie + Surgery = Anxiety

Let me preface this topic by saying that I am a weenie. I get nervous to have my blood taken. I get weak in the knees and a little faint at the sight of needles. I have to cover my eyes on every hospital related show on TV when they show the blood and guts or I will gag. I am a HUGE chicken and am freaked out easily. I could NEVER be a nurse. I have come to grips with this. I say all of this to make an impact on the paragraphs below.

This Friday morning , I (Kristin) will be having a pilonidal cystectomy. I probably butchered the spelling of that. Basically, they are going in and cutting on my tailbone. It it outpatient surgery - the doc thinks it will take an hour or so. I've had this cyst for a few years now and knew that surgery was imminent. It's non-cancerous and holds no harm to my overall health other than the fact that it's painful and periodically gets infected. The doc is worried that I'll get pregnant over the course of the upcoming years and he says that being pregnant with this would be very bad. And ultimately everyone who has this must have it removed anyhow, so he says there's no time like the present. So, we're doing it.

When I went to see Dr. Matzelle, my surgeon, yesterday about it (only because it's hurting) I was totally not expecting to be having surgery this week. Collin and I both are a little surprised by it. But I think that the Lord did this on purpose...this doesn't allow me much time to worry!!

Pilonidal cysts hurt and are annoying at times and I am glad to be having it cut out. I am not however glad to be having surgery. I don't like hospitals or the smell of surgical gloves and I definitely do not like to be "put under". Everything about anesthesia makes me nervous. I always have a fear that I won't come out of it. I asked my surgeon if he could just deaden the area and he looked at me with a sweet smile and said, "You want to be put under for this." So, I am taking his word for it. Apparantly they have to cut pretty deep so I'm sure I will be very glad to have been out for the procedure. He says the recovery could be anywhere from 10 days to 1 month, so we'll see how it goes. We are praying for 10 days (or less), of course.

When Dr. Matzelle was doing my "pre-op" check up, he found a lump on my tongue that he insisted that I have checked out before we do the surgery. I was more nervous about that than about the surgery itself. I had an appointment with an ENT this morning who said that everything was fine and that the lump is a taste bud. Who knew! So if you ever find a lump on your tongue and determine in your mind that you have tongue cancer, relax and see a doctor because it could be a taste bud.

My dad actually had a pilonidal cyst removed about 20 years ago. His was a lot worse than mine and his recovery was more extensive. So, it makes me feel better to have him to talk me through this.

If you read this before Friday, October 26th, at 7:00 AM, you can say a prayer for me. I am trying to be brave and not act like a weenie. My mom is driving in on Thursday night and my mother-in-law will be at the hospital with Collin and my mom. Thanks in advance for the prayers. This weenie appreciates them :)

2 comments:

Honea Household said...

Aww, I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, but I will certainly be lifting you up in prayers. I am just like you about bloodtests, etc. I have to lay down to get my blood drawn. And in fact, I went to the ENT today for sinus headaches and he wants me to get allergy tested. AAAHHH! 60 little pricks in my upper arm. I am certainly not looking forward to that. I asked about numbing and she said they only do that for children. Boo-hoo! :( She said to bring a movie to watch to keep me distracted. It takes like an hour to do it. Anyway. :( But I will be praying for you on Friday. I'll call you before then though. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Ohh my sweet friend, We will ALL be praying for you up here in Cowtown. Don't forget God is in control in every aspect of our lives : ) Thats such a comfort, even witting it down just now comforts me. Our loving Father is watching over you threw all things! Lots of Love and I'll talk to ya soon!
Riss