Sunday, October 7, 2007

Construction Over - Praise Jesus!

As everyone in Texas knows, Houston is notorious for traffic (and terrible mean drivers that sue you if THEY hit YOU, but that's neither here nor there). We deal constantly with construction and backed up freeways. It's a way of life. I am used to the fact that it takes me 25 minutes to drive the 5 miles to my office. It takes Collin 1 hour to drive the 18 miles to his office. You get the picture. They have been doing construction on an intersection very near to our home for the last 2 years. We had gotten used to it. We drove around it, always talking about how glorious it will be someday when they finish it and it only takes us 10 minutes to get to the freeway. Then we would joke about how we'll probably move before that happens and will never get to use this fabulous new ramp that goes up over Hwy 90. WRONG. As we were driving down Hwy 6 on Friday night at about 10:00, we notice that we're approaching the new ramp they have been working on for what seems like an eternity. It's not making us get off. All of a sudden, we realize that our car is tilted upwards and that we are on the ramp! We are driving up over 90. There was no traffic. We were sailing along at the posted speed limit, maybe even a little over, but hey- we were excited. We squealed with giddiness - well, I squealed. Collin just laughed and smiled. It took us like 6 minutes to get to 59. This is HUGE. It made my whole weekend. I know that sounds sad and maybe you are thinking that I need to get out more, and maybe that's true, but regardless, this is exciting. I am almost excited to see how long it takes me to get to work in the morning. OK, maybe not that excited...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your so funny,Hehe!
You make me smile!

Yay for less traffic! I know that can be frustrating! Have a beautiful day my friend!

Riss

Mom of Five said...

I completely know what you mean! I had just posted a frustrated construction post on my blog this week!! How funny. I'm in the middle of the desert and still have to deal with the civil engineer bureaucracy! God bless.